Q.

Why would my doctor recomend eating a banana every day?

I recently had my 3 month metabolic tests and after the results came back my doctor had the nurse call me with the results and he recommended that I eat a banana everyday. He also said that my vitamin K level is low. Any relation?

Related Topics: Vitamin K

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer

Bananas are high in potassium, so your lab tests (or your medications) may indicate a need for this some additional potassium....OR, your doctor owns stock in Dole Banana Company.  An apple a day keeps the doctor a way, but a banana has more potassium.

A.

I don't see an obvious relationship between eating bananas and low vitamin K levels. Not knowing the test results, I would say the banana recommendation would be to increase potassium, but to increase vitamin K levels you would want to look at leavy greens. If it is low potassium level, then various fruits and vegetables plus low-fat/fat-free dairy product can supply this. Eating a salad daily with leafy greens as a way of getting your veggies should take care of your vitamin K.

David Rath, MA, RD, LD

Registered Dietitian

David Rath Nutrition, Inc.