Q.

How long can herpes stay in your system before an outbreak? Years?

Been married for 16 1/2 years, no infidelity, but he's not my first.  Is it possible to have contracted the virus that long ago and not have an outbreak until today?

Related Topics: Herpes, Virus

A.
I'm not a pro, but I have done a lot of research myself. It is possible for herpes to be in your body, but remain dormant for quite some time. However, 16 years is a while and I have no idea if it's possible, but it would not surprise me. If you believe you may have contracted it, be sure to get tested. They are able to see if you have had the disease for quite some time or recently acquired it. Hope this helps

A.

I was just diagnosed after being faithfully married for 10 yrs and only 1 other partner before him so I would like to know the answer to your question as well. I am sure you feel just as hopeless as I do and I still have so many unanswered questions it seems. :( Life is so unfair.