Q.

My new doctor prescribed metformin 500mg and said nothing to me about getting a monitor about sugar lows no info at all

I have not started taking it my level was 106 which I did not think high enough to take meds, how do I get a meter if i do start taking this medicine or should I even take it? I only know what my diabetic friends have told me  have a meter to check my blood sugar levels and if it gets too low I could pass out should have some kind of candy?  Not sure why my Dr. prescribed this metformin without discussing these things or having me get a meter. I am low income not sure if this figured into this.

Related Topics: Diabetes, Blood Sugar

A.

If your low income your doctor can prescribe a meter and strips for you. This should be paid for if you are of S/S age and if you qualify, your state aid will help you if not pay for these meters. Some meter MFG give huge discounts to those who truly cannot afford the meter or strips.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I cannot believe your doctor would not make sure you have a meter as taking any Diabetes drug without checking your blood sugars is just asking for troubles. To low can put you in a diabetic coma and to high will cause complications in other health issues such as eyes, feet, heart, kidneys!<o:p></o:p>

Be sure your doctor is aware of the vitamin and mineral depletion cause by taking Metformin! You should think about taking vitamin B12 and D3 at least as these are depleted after taking metformin for a while. <o:p></o:p>

I would get a second opinion if your doctor does not think the meter is necessary. AND, a new doctor if he is not aware of the deficiencies caused by using metformin and does not check these stats for you.<o:p></o:p>

A.

I am so surprised that your doctor didn't give you one free.  Check magazines or even on TV.  You can get a meter free from Medicare. Your reading of 106 is nothing to be alarmed about.  My diabetes educator said that 80 - 100 is before meals and less than 180 after meals. If he gave you Metformin 500mg., is that once a day, twice? What? I take one Metformin with breakfast and one with supper.  Then I have my insulin "pen" of Lantis Solostar in the evening. I test right away in the morning before I have anything to eat or drink. Then again before bed in the evening. I also keep a log book I made and if my count is high, I make notations as to why I think it is .I write down the  date, day, time, reading count and notes.  This will help you a lot.  Check on line and I'm sure you can find some free. Good luck with this disease. Count your carbs and eat 45 - 60 per meal.

A.
I have had diabetes for 15 yrs.  Normal range is 70 to 115.  And people vary.  It is also important to know when to take your sugar test.  If you take it after a meal it could be as high as 180 or more.  But that's normal to.  You just ate.  Your sugar will go up and down all day.  Depending on what you eat.  And what activity you are doing or have done.  Do a fasting blood sugar test . Try not eating anything after 6 p.m.  Like nothing after supper.  Then take it first thing in the morning for an accurate reading.  If you are between 70 to 115.  No problems.  There are two types of diabetes also.  Typ1 and type 2.  If and I say if, you are a diabetic.  You are probably type 2.  Type 1 requires insulin.