Q.

I cut my fingertip off last week. The ER put clotting tissue because it wouldn't stop bleeding. What now?

Last week I cut off my fingertip with a knife.  I tried for over 2 hours to get it to stop bleeding but couldn't.  I went to the ER and they worked on it for a couple of hours as well.  They put this "clotting" tissue on it, which now is dried onto the wound.  Does that have to come off, or will it dissolve and my skin just close up over it?  It wasn't sutured because it was the entire pad of my finger.

Related Topics: Wound, Finger, Skin

A.
They may have used a product called Gel Foam or equivalent. If this is the case, just leave it alone. The skin on your fingertip should eventually regenerate and cover the missing piece, assuming the piece was not too large.

When in doubt, see your primary care medical provider for an evaluation.