Q.

I have pain, stiffnes and weakness in hands and fingers. X-ray did not show inflamationn or degnerative arthritis

I am 56 yr old female.  My hands and all fingers are very stiff all the time and very painfull when not in use.  If I do not keep them moving they become VERY stiff in a few minutes.  I have been taking celebrex which helps, but I want to know what is wrong with them.     I had carpel tunnel surgery 2 years ago in my left hand and 15 yrs ago in my right. 

X-ray taken 2 weeks ago states no inflammatory or degenerative arthritis.

Will arthritis always show on X-ray?  What is my next step?

Related Topics: Arthritis, Finger, Hand, X-ray, Surgery

A.
My arthritis took 5 years before it showed up on an X-ray.  My one hand hurt despite no proof, and the doctor gave me Meloxicam 15 Mg Tab to take because I also have arthritis in my left knee. (I take it at night only.)  X-rays don't necessarily work to the depth we expect them to, in my opinion.  But my doctor knows this.

A.

Not sure exactly what you have, but there are blood tests used to help diagnose arthritis and inflammation.  If you haven't had any blood tests done, I'd ask your doctor for some.