Q.

Can Penicillin cure a sinus infection?

Yesterday I was diagnosed with strep and put on Penicillin.  However, I am still struggling with congestion and a bad cough which I think may be sinus related.  Do I need to go back to the doctor for another medication?

A.

Most infections in the sinuses are VIRAL and not bacterial, so penicillin would not likely help in this case. I do not know that how you were diagnosed with Strep. Unless you had a lab test to confirm it, you may not have Strep at all. A visual diagnosis is wrong about half the time.