Q.

can weight loss cause high blood pressure?

I have lost 20 lbs through weight watchers.
 I lost 10lbs then joined weight watchers for a total loss of 30 lbs.
I have high blood pressure for a number of years controlled by medication. Diovan  80 mg once a day.
Just recently I have noticed my blood pressure going up ex. 177/112 normally 130/80.
My Dr increased the Diovan to two tabs a day one am and one pm.
This Rx is helping somewhat.
I am just wondering if significant weight loss can add to the high blood pressure?

Thank You,
Sandra Deustachio

A.
It definitely depends on your approach to weight loss.  What foods did you eat, and did you exercise, also?  Exercise which increases the heart rate for about 20 min. a few times a week will help to reduce cholesterol, glucose, and bp.  Also, if you've been eating processed foods (i.e. Weight-Watchers prepared meals), you might want to check the sodium content, nitrates, and other chemicals, all known for that ominous jump in blood pressure we all dread.  I'd be willing to bet that the meals, especially without exercise (as with any other change in diet only, to lose weight) are at least playing a part in the blood pressure increases, especially since this is a common complaint among "dieters".

My suggestion would be to stop "dieting", and to make small, HEALTHY life-style changes, such as eating more fruits and veggies, especially fresh, lots of green leafy foods - fresh spinach is excellent.  Make sure that you cut back on processed foods, simple carbohydrates (donuts, cake, candy), as these just feed any sugar addiction you may have (very bad for you), eat high protein foods, healthy fats (omega3, from avocados, olive and coconut oils).  Also, eat small (healthy) snacks between meals, and drink lots of water.  This will keep you from overeating at meal time, keeps your metabolism going, which helps to burn more fat, and helps you to lose weight (fat cells) the right way, lowering risk of any negative side effects which come with many diets/fads. 

I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes about 6 1/2 years ago, and these are the things which I had to learn to get rid of the excess fat I had put on after ending up physically disabled for many years, and less active.  They work, my A1C is down to normal levels, and I do not take the meds any longer.  I know it works, and any exercise you can add to your food regimen will help you, too.  I wish you great success, and hope that this helps.

A.
It all depends on how you lose weight. I've looked through many diet reviews ( http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer-reviews/diets-training.html) and in many of them people complained having high blood pressure. The thing is that sometimes quick and unhealthy weight loss can cause such consequences..

A.
It depends on which method you opt to loose weight , for eg: if you are doing exercise in wrong manner which is doing adverse effect , results in Blood pressure or anyother problem !! 

Any when you are doing weight loss it should be done under expert trainer !! there is lot of information on some sites 
http://weightloss-issue.blogspot.com