Health & Sex

Q.

Should foreskin be retracted before intercourse?

My husband did not know till recently that the foreskin can be retracted. So we tried it out and he can retract it easily. But he feels the exposed part is now irritably sensitive. Is this normal? Before intercourse, should we manually retract the foreskin? We are not sure if the foreskin will be retracted naturally during penetration. (We also doubt if the penetration is deep enough. I feel only about an inch of his penis is actually getting inside my vagina).

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer

The foreskin will automatically retract during intercourse; that is the beauty of the design. You need not retract it before insertion, nor can you prevent it from retraction during sex. If his penis is overly sensitive, just slow down the process and make sure that the parts are well lubricated. It will be fine. The vast majority of men on this planet are uncircumcised; just the way that God made them, so things will be fine.

As far as penetration is concerned, experiment with a few different positions. It is likely that more than an inch is happening.

A.
I am not circumcised, and my foreskin sometimes retracts during intercourse, and sometime it does not.  The more enlarged with blood my penis is, the less the skin retracts.

I used to always retract it when first married, but then found that the foreskin can act as a way of aiding penetration if penetration is started when while the foreskin is on the head of the penis.

Most uncircumcised guys I have talked to say that their penis is sensitive enough so that, if the foreskin rolls back and exposes the penile head during intercourse, they are very aware of it.  Most like that, a few don't.  About half of the boys in the town where I grew up were uncut, about half cut, because there were two doctors delivering babies--one tried to talk all parents into leaving their boys intact, the other tried to talk all parents into having their boy(s) uncircumcised.

In my opinion, the majority of uncircumcised males can tell if their foreskin is retracted during intercourse, based on my conversations with other uncircumcised males.

As far as penetration, you can get a good idea of how much penetration there is by measuring (on top) the length of your penis, then during intercourse put a hand down there during fullest penetration you can manage and see WHERE on your penis a finger hits.  How much penis is still outside the vagina?  Then you will have a pretty good answer as to how much penetration there is.

A.

Hi, Your foreskin should be able to move freely, if its still a bit tight you should try to get him to slowly stretch it, both sideways and length ways, massage some baby oil into it before he starts, and slowly he should find it starts moving better for him.

He needs to get it moving better, and slowly the sensitivity will go, also washing behind it daily will help as well the sensitivity, if he finds that by doing this he gets PE (premature  ejaculation) then he should go and do an exercise called edging, he can find out how to do this on pegym.com under exercises.

Hope this helps for some good sexual encounters.

Post Your AnswerCancel

While writing your answer, you may find these tips helpful:

• Please try to keep your answer short and to the point. Be sure the answer is specific to the question asked.
  • To help protect your privacy, you should never submit any question or answer that includes personal information such as a name, phone number, email address, or mailing address.
  • Have a reference? Please include it to support your answer.

Today on WebMD

couple not communicating
How to tell when you're in one.
couple face to face
Get your love life back on track.

couple having an argument
Turn spats into solutions
couple in argument
When to call it quits.

Life Cycle of a Penis
Article
HIV Myth Facts
Slideshow

How Healthy is Your Sex Life
Quiz
Couple in bed
Video

6 Tips For Teens
Article
Close-up of young man
Article

screening tests for men
Slideshow
HPV Vaccine Future
Article

Important: The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, blogs, or WebMD Answers are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

URAC: Accredited Health Web Site TRUSTe online privacy certification HONcode Seal AdChoices