Q.

My husbands urologist wants him to have a prostate biopsy. He has no lumps. PSA was 1.8. Is this biopsy necessary?

What are the chances of cancer with a PSA this low?

A.

Get a second opinion from another urologist. A prostate biopsy is not a pleasant procedure, so it should only be done if absolutely necessary. His PSA is fine, but the PSA is not the definitive marker. I don't know his age or risk factors, but if his prostate examination is normal....his PSA is normal....I am puzzled by the recommendation.

The urologist has a responsibility to justify this procedure, so have a face-to-face consultation and hear has rationale.

A.
I know from personal experience, the PSA is a very questionable test, designed to promote more tests and more expenses by the male populace.. My PSA  is 10.49.. I have acute bacterial prostitus.. This is    treatable with powerful antibiotics.. If you still have fear (that's what they want!) Then by all means have the Dr. order a CAT scan, and then you will know the truth.. J. Ben

A.
My PSA was 6-8 and had 2 biopsies, no bumps, no cancer but because
my doctor did not like the signs he did a  ( saturation biopsy) which then
showed I had a GLEASON SCALE OF T8  which at that point it starts
SPREADING TO THE BONEY STRUCTURES AND LYMPH GLANDS !!!!
The simple biopsy only hits a small part of the Prostate. Had he not been persistent and dependent upon my PSA I would be planning my funeral. TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!! Those who belittle the PSA should  have their tongues cut out.