Q.

I have a pilonidal cyst, that is leaking small amounts of pus mixed with blood throughout the day. Should I go to the ER

I have a pilonidal cyst, that is leaking small amounts of pus mixed with blood periodically throughout the day. Should I go to the ER?

I do not have a family physician, I went to a walk in clinic and the physician told me he has referred me to a specialist. That was a week ago and I have not heard word since. If I go to the emergency room at my local hospital will a colorectal surgeon be able to clean out the cyst and remove the hairs? I live in Canada so the cost of going to ER is not an issue. 

A.
If going to an ER is not a financial issue, I am sure that you can get care for your pilonidal cyst. There is no way to know if there is a colorectal surgeon waiting around to take care of you, however, but many ER physicians and other primary care medical providers can handle this sort of thing.

As you probably know, pilonidal cysts do become infected from time to time, so perhaps you should consider a more definitive surgical procedure and have the entire cyst removed?  No more problems after that surgery!

Got Your WebMD Answer?

Next Steps: