Q.

what could persistent pain in both of my achilllies tendon be cause by or is it a symptom of something else?

Related Topics: Tendon, Pain

A.
I don't know if you wear high heels a lot but it can cause like a tightening of the tendons because they are not stretched out from time to time. I had this and I had to wear lower heels and stretch multiple times a day. Just stretch the achilles tendon by pointing your toes towards you slowly 10-20 reps daily. also don't wear heels that dig into that area. Try wearing lower heeled shoes for awhile, you can also stretch like that @ work. Capasaicin cream (might be spelled wrong) is great, it burns at first but put it on for 6 weeks, my pain is gone for years!! my podiatrist recommended it and I never needed anything else with the combination of stretching also. good luck.

A.
One possible explanation could be achilles tendinitis.  I had achilles tendinitis when I was younger and I would feel the pain whenever I would play sports or be active.  I know you said the pain is persistent, but if you're a very active person or have a job that requires you walking around a lot, achilles tendinitis is a possible answer.  Regardless, if you want the best advice, see you doctor.

A.

Hi, In the UK we call this policemen's heel, its to do with the way the old bobby's used to stretch there heels and feet, I have had that oh, painful, but help is at hand with a cortisone injection.

Now when its better you will want to thank me but?

Do hope this works for you, like me.

A.

There can be a lot of causes for Achilles/heel pain. Achilles tendonitis is not an entity in itself; something causes it. Shoes, inherent bone structure, Achilles length (genetic, structural in its connection with the rest of the leg, environment in an occupational sense), direct injury or repetitive injury are all part of the picture. Achilles pain, unless is caused by direct injury, most likely involves several of the factors above. Most everyone is familiar with the term repetitive injury and when you think about it, what other part of the body goes through so repetitive motion as the foot/leg. The Achilles tendon which attaches one of the strongest muscles to the heel can be in perpetual activity or perpetual dormancy depending on one's daily activity. Either way it is at risk for repetitive injury. The trick is to find our which of these factors (shoes, bone structure etc) is affecting your Achilles tendon. For that a thorough evaluation by a physician qualified in foot and leg is  advisable. Once you know what factors are impacting your particular situation, your will be able to begin the slow, revisable healing process.