Q.

Does a migraine always include pain or can you just have light sensitivity?

Related Topics: Migraine, Photosensitivity, Pain

A.

It is important to visit your doctor regarding this issue so you can find the cause.  While atypical migraines are not common, it is possible to have a symptom such as light sensitivity without pain.  However, an evaluation is important for this symptom, especially if it is new.  Good luck.

A.
Hi. Migraines run in my family. As a child my head would kill me until it would rain. Now I get left sided, a day of relief, then right sided (among the ones that make be feel like, " I want to chop my head off". - I would never. I guarantee everyone w/sever migraines would say the same. 
Similar to you...Sometimes I get what they call nausea migraines.  You don't get any head pain I've even got the splashes/dots in my eyes (pre-migraine) then not gotten one.  I've lost count how many specialist I've been to. Some aren't good & some can only do so much.  See if there is a trigger and try to find a Neurologist or even a Family Doc you like. 

Read different sites on the web. You will find a lot of different data. There are multiple migraine & headache websites out there with a plethora of info. Even the Excedrin website has info. 

Feel better!!!
Fellow Suffer

A.

My experience with migraines come with some pre-auras, light sensitivity, etc., followed by onset of pain immediately right after these occur, but I've had some migraines that just start with pain and nothing more.  Then I've also had pain migraines that are followed by partial temporary vision blindness.  Everyone has different body responses.  It's best to discuss these differences with your physician, just in case there are any other causes of individual symptoms & opinions on how to deal with each type.

A.
Yes, you can get just the sensitivity. I've had the all the symptoms to the extreme of being temporarily paralyzed.  Had all the tests done.  Started getting them when I was 15. That was 32 years ago and they have changed over the years.  I do get many silent migraines.

A.

By definition, migraine is associated with headache. Migraine pain is often accompanied by symptoms such as nausea and sensitivity to light, sound, or odors.  Photosensitivity can be one of the trigger factors for migraine pain, condition is known as photophobia. Light sensitivity triggers a flow of electrical signals to brain cells and intensifies your headache. Only photophobia without migraine doesnot occur.