Q.

Does a migraine always include pain or can you just have light sensitivity?

Related Topics: Migraine, Photosensitivity, Pain

A.
migraines are always accompanied by pain and frequently accompanied by light sensitivity. Try to stay away from any light that hurts your eyes. Once the pain subsides the light sensitivity should also. If it continues I would suggest you see your eye doctor.

A.
I have suffered with Migraines most of my 50 years. They come with all types of issues and you can get them all or just one of them. In my experience, you can get a slight migraine to a severe one. Sadly, I experience both. I take medication daily to avoid them and take medication at the onset of them as well. 

Anyone who has suffered from migraines and especially those with chronic migraines - my prayers go out to you! I hope they figure out what causes them exactly and what might cure them for those of us who suffer.

A.
Migraine issues absolutely can cause just light sensitivity. The pain of a migraine is simply one of the many symptoms. The actual migraine is the swelling of a nerve, called the trigeminal nerve, which wraps around your head (starting at the back of the skull) like a hand gripping your skull from behind. It can cause irritability, headache on only one side, light sensitivity, blurred vision, visual aura (fuzzy rings, or rings of odd color) ringing in the ears, distorted auditory sensations (such as a thumping sound when hearing certain tones, or a muffled sensation), slurred speech, dizziness, nausea, pain in the right forefront of the head, pain in the right eye, pain in the jaw, tooth ache, sleepiness, all of these together, or just one (any one) by itself. However, be aware these symptoms may be a symptom of something else, and should be checked by your doctor. If your doctor prescribes migraine medication, and it doesn't work or makes symptoms worse, DO NOT HESITATE to return to your doctor or get a second opinion. The medication should work within twenty minutes or so, so don't wait for days or weeks if it doesn't work - tell your doctor immediately. If the medication works, that's awesome - you now know what it is. You may be plagued with migraines periodically for the rest of your life, or they may come and go with life cycles, they may be triggered by hormone changes, stress, alcohol, pinched nerve in the neck, a sensitivity to some unknown substance in your environment, etc. Women are afflicted, statistically, more often than men because we are in constant hormone flux, but men do get them also. Migraine symptoms should never be ignored. We get pain for a reason, and our bodies are trying to tell us something.

A.

It is possible. I have had the same problem, along with having other migraine auras without having the pain. I was told I have silent migraines. Meaning you get the auras, but not always the pain.

A.

My migraines usually comes with light sensitivity, nausea and sometimes bouts of diarhea. I've taken promethazine (sp) for nausea, pepto and midrin for the migraines. I've also had to take a shot or two in the hindquarters for my migraines. It will get better as your doctor figures out the best combination of drugs for you.