Q.

I am recovering from the flu and my ear pops every time I blow my nose. The first time was painful. What is this?

Related Topics: Flu, Ears, Nose

A.
You are most likely having ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction). The e-tubes are tiny ventilation and drainage tubes that run from your middle ear to the back of your throat. When you have a viral respiratory infection (colds, flu), these tubes can become clogged or swollen, resulting in some ear fullness/discomfort. When you blow your nose, you are forcing some air up these tubes, causing your ear to pop.

In most cases, this will resolve spontaneously in few days or a few weeks, depending on the severity.