Q.

At what temperature should I take my child to the emergency room?

My daughter is 6 years old. She has vomiting, fatigue, watery eyes, and is complaining of her ears hurting. Is there a certain temperature where I should take her to the emergency room rather than waiting for tomorrow for her doctor's appointment?

A.
If the temperature does goes over 102F you should contact a physician  at least to ask for their opinion. Vomiting can be a cause of a bacterial infection (ear infection or tonsillitis) where she needs antibiotics.

Last time my daughter had a tonsillitis she also had vomiting and the temperature got over 101F. We gave her some suppository with Ibuprofen to lower the temperature and went to the doctor next day. Ibuprofen is also an anti-inflammatory that will help with any possible infection she has.

Hope your daughter gets well soon!

A.
If she also does vomit after drinking a bit of water (do only give her plain, still water. No sparkling water and/ or with sugar or other sweeteners) you can give her some iced chips (like pieces of crushed ice). That will prevent the mouth from getting too dry and she might feels a bit better.

To lower high temperature you can also do cold leg compresses.