Health & Sex

Q.

no period after only having one depo shot

I got the depo shot on Sept 15 2012. In Oct. I got a period and also in Nov. I decided i didn't want to get the shot which i had to go in on the 7th of Dec. to get it. I did have intercourse on the 6th of Dec and it was unprotected. I was expecting a period on the 24th of Dec and it did not come. I am afraid I may be pregnant but i keep getting negative's. I just want my period to return and i have been to two dr's that say it is a side effect of the shot but why after 3 months no period. 

A.

I got the depo shot after I had my son in 97 I didnt have my period till 00 till this day my periods have not been normal and I have not been able to get pregnet for over 14 yrs

A.
It is the way the medication works to shut down ovulation. Should restart soon. Also keep in mind that stress can interfere with your cycle too. If you are terribly concerned about pregnancy ask for a serum pregnancy test to calm your fears. For future reference use protection when you are unsure about your contraceptive method.

Post Your AnswerCancel

While writing your answer, you may find these tips helpful:

• Please try to keep your answer short and to the point. Be sure the answer is specific to the question asked.
  • To help protect your privacy, you should never submit any question or answer that includes personal information such as a name, phone number, email address, or mailing address.
  • Have a reference? Please include it to support your answer.

Today on WebMD

couple not communicating
How to tell when you're in one.
couple face to face
Get your love life back on track.

couple having an argument
Turn spats into solutions
couple in argument
When to call it quits.

Life Cycle of a Penis
Article
HIV Myth Facts
Slideshow

How Healthy is Your Sex Life
Quiz
Couple in bed
Video

6 Tips For Teens
Article
Close-up of young man
Article

screening tests for men
Slideshow
HPV Vaccine Future
Article

Important: The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, blogs, or WebMD Answers are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

URAC: Accredited Health Web Site TRUSTe online privacy certification HONcode Seal AdChoices