Q.

can an abnormally light period be a sign of pregnancy?

I have been on the same birthcontrol pill for almost a year and my periods have remained average but this month my period was more like spotting than a normal period. Could I be pregnant?

A.

There can be many reasons to have a light menstrual period or spotting while on the pill. It does not necessarily mean you are pregnant. Birth control pills, taken properly of course, are highly effective, so your chance of an unintended pregnancy is not very high.

Can it happen? Yes, so if you are having any OTHER signs of pregnancy, a home pregnancy test or a visit to your gynecologist would be in something to consider.