Q.

Will flu symptoms be less severe after getting a flu vacciene, even though the strain that broke out wasn't covered?

It seems rampant in South Texas. My entire family got the flu vaccine late 2012, and despite that my youngest got the flu. I understand that the vaccine only covers up to 3 strains, and that the strain that broke out wasn't included. 

I'm just curious then, if the vaccine affords us any coverage at all.

Thank you,
Philip 

Related Topics: Flu, Family

A.

Maybe. Many flu strains are genetically "close", so past infections, past flu vaccines, and even this year's strain may still offer some protection. This year's flu vaccine is considered to be a good match (not true in all previous years vaccine), so there has been very good protection against the true, lab-confirmed cases of influenza.