Q.

Should someone with lower back pain see a doctor or a chiropractor?

My wife has been experiencing pretty painful, lower back pain. It's effecting how she walks and moves about. She decided to see a Chiropractor. I told her she should see a Doctor, that Chiropractors are not Doctors. Am I wrong? I told her she should get diagnosed by a doctor, see what a doctor recommends, and that if all else failed and she decided to try chiropractic care, then so be it.

Related Topics: Movement, Vision, Pain, Walking, Back Pain

A.

I had severe low back pain from November 2011 until May 2012.  I went to a doctor and had x-rays.  I was put on anti inflammatories and muscle relaxants.  After 4 weeks and no improvement, I had an MRI.  It revealed that I had a herniated disc on L4 with 30% of my spinal space full of disc material.  I tried physical therapy and while it helped, I was not back to normal.  I had a microdiscectomy in May.  Good by pain hello my life back.  I was in the hospital for six hours.  I was up and walking that day.  One week later I could walk a mile.  I now lift weights, hike, and exercise on a regular basis.  Best thing I ever did for my back which was originally injured 30 years ago.

A.
see a Chiropractor..a MD will only waste your money and give out drugs..a good Chiro will make the proper diagnosis without drugs..I had samething. I went to mine today..its was how I sit while on laptop that made a disc go out.. she fixed it quick..sounds like your wife has a pinched nerve..

A.
I know so many people that hate when a doctor wastes their time, but please do me a favor and go see your doctor. I have my own problems with lower back pain, and it took me asking the right questions and not dealing with a doctor that wasn't willing to help. To find out 3 months later I have a genetic issue and it caused me to break my back.The bigger reason to see the doctor is that I just lost a very dear friend that didn't think doctors new a thing, and after dealing with so many visits to the chiro we got her to the doctor. It was too late as she had bone cancer and it wasn't found soon enough. She suffered a lot as do all of us that wish we would have forced her sooner. The right doctor is out there, you just have to be willing to do the work to find them.