Q.

Does it matter what time of day a person works out to promote the most weight loss?

I usually work out 30 min. before breakfast but wonder if I should do this before dinner, since that is my largest meal, to help rev up my metabolism to better promote weight loss.  I don't see much weight loss now with my current regimen.

Related Topics: Vision, Meal, Weight Loss, Metabolism

Fitness
Health Coach, WebMD
A.

There doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer in regards to what time of day will provide the most weight loss benefit from exercise. For you, the best time of day is going to be whatever helps you in establishing a consistent routine. It helps to make exercise as convenient and enjoyable as possible for yourself so that it’s easier for you to stay on track.

I would suggest experimenting with doing exercise at different times of day to see what works best for you. Are you enough of a morning person to commit to waking up early? Early morning exercise is great, but it may not be good for you if you end up sleep deprived or if you’re prone to hitting the snooze button and end up skipping exercise sessions. Is it possible to exercise during a lunch break for a mid-afternoon energy boost? What about after work, or are you too tired from a long, hard day of work and just want to relax? Late-afternoon or early evening exercise works well for some, but may be a challenge if you have other after-work obligations or commitments that might interfere. Does exercising too late in the evening affect your sleep or cause you to have insomnia?

Ultimately, the best time of day for you to exercise is going to be specific to what meets your needs and what works best with your schedule and lifestyle. The best thing to do is to find a time that helps to establish a consistent exercise routine.

A.
Different people, lives, and schedules = different workout times.  One thing I always make sure to do is exercise BEFORE I eat a meal....Not after.  Sometimes I work out in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon.  This is largely based on my sleep/rest.  As long as I get my own personal needs of eight hours of sleep a night I will get up and exercise early in the morning.  My two big points here.... are get enough rest and exercise if possible before eating meal or make sure to put something in your body after.

A.
I find the mornings, before breakfast, to be the best.  Here's what happens.  You're exercising on an empty stomach, so your blood has to pull energy from your fat reserves.  Then, after exercising, don't eat anything for at least 30 minutes.  This allows your blood to stabilize, to catch up to its normal state, again from fat.  This gives plenty of time to shower and otherwise get ready for work.  Then have a good breakfast.  If you eat immediately after exercising, your blood will replenish from that, instead of your fat, and you'll have less weight loss.  And you've revved up your metabolizm to burn your breakfast instead of store it.

A.

I just wanted the answer to the question about the different time of day about a beneficial workout - could not seem to figure out where to get the answer - should it be this complicated ?????

A.
I myself walk for 30 minutes on my lunch hour before I eat my lunch.  I used to, when I was younger, work out after work. I have heard that working out early morning is great, I couldn't do it, and before dinner now, I'm too tired.