Q.

pre diabetic 6.0 A1C - what are the chances of me becoming diabetic? I am/have been active (1 year bad diet)

My husband and I are active people, we back pack, hike, mountain bike, cross country ski and have eaten a pretty balanced diet most of our lives.  This past year we both got lazy and were not eating as we should have...we are on a low carb diet and have since increased our activity level back to what it once was.  Will we ever be able to have cake again or are we destined to be diabetics?  In other words, can the damage be undone?  Will our bodies recover from the situation?

Related Topics: Diabetes, Diet, Low Carb Diet, Hike

WebMD
A.

Based on your HgA1c you are at an increased risk for developing diabetes and should be screened regularly. People at an increased risk  for diabetes have an increased risk for heart disease as well. Its important to get back to regular exercise that challenges your fitness level. You'll need to get back to the basics and eat right and manage any weight issues you may have.

Three tests are used to screen for or diagnose diabetes. One test is the Hga1c & levels above 6.5 % are considered diagnostic of diabetes. A fasting glucose level of greater than 126 or a 2 hour glucose of greater than 200 during an oral glucose tolerance test also confirms this diagnosis.

The risk of developing diabetes is continuous, there is no threshold that determines a sudden increased risk from normal. In poeople that have glucose intolerance, the incidence of type 2 diabetes is around 5-10% per year and is higher in hispanics & Native Americans, as well as those people with the highest blood sugar levels.

There are environmental and genetic factors that increase your risk of transitioning into overt diabetes... which carries an even higher risk of cardiovascular disease. 

Some things you can't change but others are within your reach. Environmental risks such as exercise and calorie excess are modifiable.

Insulin is not working well in you. Utilized your muscles to activate this hormone and burn the excess calories to reduce your risks of conversion to type 2 diabetes, to gain fitness and reduce your heart disease risks.