Q.

Low blood sugar, what foods bring it up safely, avoiding a spike?

I understand milk will do this (not certain that is correct.) Is there anything else?

Related Topics: Blood Sugar, Milk, Food

A.

Milk is a good choice, peanut butter (in the serving amount on the label, or smaller), you can also get the "ReliOn" products at your local pharmacy. It is over the counter and they are tablets with carbs in them which covert to sugar. You can really give anything sweet to a diabetic patient, although it is not recommended to anyone who is not educated about diabetes. Just ratio the amount of carbs and sugar to the serving size of the product to your goal glucose level. I have a diabetic grandmother myself, and she has dropped as low as 25 while living alone. I had to put sugar directly UNDER her tongue, which in emergencies are the best idea. Symptoms of hypoglycemia include cold and clammy skin, confusion, poor balance, feeling faint and rapid heartbeat. If you are ever placed in this situation, provide sugary drinks such as orange juice and soda, or place pure sugar under the tongue and inside the mouth. If the person has become unconscious, only put the a small amount of sugar under the tongue and along the inside of the cheeks, while rolling the person onto their side.

Hope this helps