Q.

Hi. My wife has a low count of red blood cells. She is now barely eating and is almost bedridden.

Hi. My wife has a low count of red blood cells. She is now barely eating and is almost bedridden. How concerned should I be and what should I do?

A.
You should have provided some more information about her. Her RBC count is low (with this, her hemoglobin is also low). This means she has anemia. There are different reasons for this, most common is iron deficiency. Others are folic acid or vitamin B12 deficiency. There may be other reasons such as bleeding (in the form of ulcers, piles, etc), or increased destruction of red blood cells. 

I don't know the severity of her anemia, but severe anemia may prove fatal sometimes. So, don't keep waiting. Consult a hematologist/general physician as soon as possible. She may need blood transfusion if the anemia is severe.

Usually, hemoglobin below 5 - 6 (normal values for women: 11 - 16) is considered critical and the patient needs blood transfusion.

A.

Is she anemic? did they say what her hemoglobin is at? she may need iron supplements.  I was anemic couldnt get out of bed and was so drowsy and tired. my energy was gone