Q.

I have had an extremely lg canker sore for over a yr. Aphthasol helped with pain but I still have the canker sore.

I went to the dentist after 4 months of this growing.  I used aphthasol for 2 months and it helped with pain & reduced the size slightly, but it did not heal.  I began getting canker sores all of the time for a little over a year now and previously never had them.  My inner cheeks and tongue swell frequently.The large sore is on my lower gums. Also, I have removed anything acidic from my diet when this started.  What could be causing this and why won't the big sore heal?  What should I do now?

A.
It sounds like it may be something more serious if you are having them that frequently and swelling. Also, since you have had the large one for so long I am not sure if this will work for you or not but it is worth a shot.

Every time I have gotten a canker sore I put a good amount of baking soda on it and it goes away almost instantly. Usually I would wet my finger, put it in the baking soda, and then put as much between my lip/cheek and my gum and let it sit on it as long as possible.

I would still seek treatment with your doctor but hopefully this will help you in the meantime.