Q.

Ive been doing suboxene for about a year,but have slowed down alot.I just found out im preg. Dont want to hurt the baby!

I was addicted to pain killers BAD. I was too ashmed and embarassed to go to the the doctors or anything, but my cousin had been going through the same thing and was already taking suboxene to get off of it. So her trying to help me, started giving me some of hers.When I first started suboxene, I was doing about 8 pills a month.And I now only do 2 a month.I have read that if you just stop, you could have withdraws that could harm your baby, But Im not doing that many mg. What should I do?

Related Topics: Pain, Baby, Painkiller

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer
I have been in your position and I know how you feel, however I am going to repeat what my Dr., whom I get suboxone from, told me just last week. Then you will have the information to make a educated decision. It is illegal to prescribe suboxone to anyone who is pregnant. The program that I have been in for over a year, caught alot of heat, when one of the patients who had been taking suboxone, was found out to be pregnant. I understand that you are worried about the withdrawal affecting the fetus, but if you are getting through 28 days of the month without taking anything, I doubt you would withdrawal if you stopped taking those 2 suboxone. Your body starts going into withdrawals once the medicine has left your system, if I skip a day of my suboxone- I can tell the next day by how my body reacts. If you are really taking 2 a month, you would be going weeks at a time without taking anything. Your body would have already adjusted to not having the suboxone in your system. Your just starting the cycle over again when u take one. This seems like an odd amount to be taking and feeling like you really need them. However, I'm not gonna judge your situation. I do know from doing research, that their are other medicine options for people who are addicted and pregnant. I read online that some addicts are prescribed methadone when they are pregnant, instead of suboxone. Im not sure how accurate that statement is, but if you really need something you could google it and see what others have been prescribed. Regardless once ur due date approaches, I am sure that most Dr.s lower ur dose and try to wean you off any medicine at all, otherwise your baby will be born addicted to meds as well. It will be in your babys system when they are born, and they will have withdrawals once they are not in your womb anymore, and not getting their dose of medicine through you. I would consider all of this and decide what option works for you, if your worried now, your concern will only get worse, the further along you get. Guilt is a hard thing to live with.

A.

My husband went through a bad time in his life where he had to have alot of operations and when it was all done with he was addicted to pain pills but also had to have them for the pain he would have to deal with the rest of his life. He started going to a out patient methadone clinic which really helped him stay off everything else and helped the pain. There were pregnant women going there that also took the medication I really wouldn't recommend getting put on it if you can avoid it because these women had to deal with the nurses talking about them and calling them bad mothers cause the babies were addicted to the methadone and had to be hooked to iv's and given morphine until they could be taken off which was miserable for the babies. So if you can just stop takin it that would be your best bet.

A.

Thanks for your repsonse, it did help! The 2 pills I do a month, last me all month. I dont do a whole dose I just do a little bit each day. So I stretch the 2 just enough so I have a little each day for all month. I have slowed down a lot. I have been trying to wein myself all of them, but now I found out I'm pregnant, I am def going to have to do something. I have just been trying this whole time to avoid telling doctors or family members. But I know I am going to have to just suck it up and tell my doctor, hopefully she'll be able to help me. I think the hardest part is the mental state, and when I dont have them I have NOO energy to do anything, and that creepy crawly feeling you feel through your whole body. But i am READY to stop. I def dont want to be like this forever, and I HATE that I even let myself get in this situation. I have 2 other kids, and I never had any problems when I was pregnant with them, bc I didnt do anything like this, so I def dont want to start now! So again, thanks for your feedback, I do appreciate it!