Q.

what are the long term side effects of depo provera?

I used Depo Provera as birth control for several years now.  I started when I was 19 and love that I have no period. I stopped for about a year and tried the patch, which I didn't care for.  When I got back on the depo I gained a bit of weight. My symptoms include fatigue, muscle soreness and weakness, high blood pressure and weight control issues. Most of the fat is around my waist, I believe the hormonal cycle may be effecting my health a lot and need to know my other options. (now 29)

WebMD
A.

Many of the symptoms you describe are vague and could be due to a number of things including Provera. Some of the common side effects of this medication include weight gain, weak bones, headaches, fatigue, swelling. These symptoms could also be caused by a number of things such as thyroid problems.

Its best to see your doctor to get evaluated and to discuss your concerns regarding contraception. There are many options available.