Health & Sex

Q.

What does one do when her partner is asexual? He could care less about intercourse,but is very affectionate otherwise

We've been seeing each other for over 2 years,and the intimacy is just not there,except for kissing,holding hands,hugging,that's it. I love this guy very much and am not going to run away,but was just wondering about this...we're both in our late 50's

A.
    We men also feel a loss of interest,is this the same as loss of libido?? At 65,And,after 28 yrs of marriage,even I feel a fear of failure when the erections are not as frequent as in our younger years.

We often have high blood pressure,which calls for other meds,not conducive to an erection,,,
    Make a rule to touch each other before sleep,it keeps us close.The erectile medicine works well also,and proves that,its only a matter of blood flow,Enjoy. 

A.
    As a sixty year old male I can tell you that Intercourse is a risky business. Men at our age may be fearful of not being able to perform. That having been said here is what needs to happen. You must start a conversation about your desires and expectations. I find that many people want to have sex but they don't want to talk about sex. You not mature enough to have sex if you are not mature enough to talk about sex. ask if there is a medical problem. then ask if there is something that can be done (BLUE PILL AND THE LIKE) DON'T MAKE INTERCOURSE THE BE ALL AND END ALL OF SEX. There other ways to be intimate. Serious foreplay and oral sex, role playing games mutual masturbation. be willing to explore and be willing to do what it takes to satisfy each other. REMEMBER THE BRAIN IS THE LARGEST SEXUAL ORGAN IN THE BODY.  NOW GO PLAY AND HAVE FUN.

A.
    At first when she told me that sex was out and kissing was out, I was devastated as I was most attracted.  Since then we have cuddled and I have found another who is more participatory.  Maybe this other gal is better for me.  I am busy trying to find my way in a forest of goddesses, so the key is how well you can talk, especially about sex.  If it avoided as a topic it may be the best indicator that it will not improve, unfortunately.  Friendships are fine but they really take second place to a potential sexual and sensual partner.  So the priorities shift based on what you think is happening, and the only way to judge is based on what is said.  In many cases it takes risk to raise certain subjects, and once one risk is made unsuccessfully another risk is less likely and the final outcome is evident.  Can't get blood from a stone.  Norl sexual love from someone unwilling, tha'ts a good taboo.  Find someone willing is the only way out of the dilemma.

A.
    Thanks for asking this question.  I dated a man (he was in his mid-40's) for awhile who was asexual.   He was affectionate otherwise.  We traveled together, slept together,  but we never had sex. We split up for other reasons non-related to this.  I found some information on the internet, but not much to explain why this is so for some.

Certainly other medical issue can come into play, but I don't think that was true in this case.

Post Your AnswerCancel

While writing your answer, you may find these tips helpful:

• Please try to keep your answer short and to the point. Be sure the answer is specific to the question asked.
    • To help protect your privacy, you should never submit any question or answer that includes personal information such as a name, phone number, email address, or mailing address.
    • Have a reference? Please include it to support your answer.

Today on WebMD

couple not communicating
    How to tell when you're in one.
    couple face to face
    Get your love life back on track.

couple having an argument
    Turn spats into solutions
    couple in argument
    When to call it quits.

Life Cycle of a Penis
    Article
    HIV Myth Facts
    Slideshow

How Healthy is Your Sex Life
    Quiz
    Couple in bed
    Video

6 Tips For Teens
    Article
    Close-up of young man
    Article

screening tests for men
    Slideshow
    HPV Vaccine Future
    Article

Important: The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, blogs, or WebMD Answers are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

URAC: Accredited Health Web Site TRUSTe Privacy Certification TAG seal HONcode Seal AdChoices