Q.

my granddaughter has to have a gluton free diet what can i feed her?

She has stomach pain alot and she has a cousin (her aunts child) that is allergic to gluten so they want to put her, my granddaughter, on a gluten free diet to see if this helps her. I need to know what i can and cant feed her and what i can substitute so she still gets nutrients she needs. with out it costing me an arm and a leg im on a rather small income but want to do whats best for her.

Related Topics: Arm, Leg, Stomach, Vision, Diet

Fitness
Health Coach, WebMD
A.

Gluten is a protein found in wheat and grain products. People on a gluten-free diet often avoid wheat, rye, and barley; though there is also debate on whether to avoid oats as well.

A gluten-free diet allows for fresh fruits, vegetables, meat/poultry/fish, and many dairy products. Unprocessed beans and nuts are also acceptable, as well as products made with rice, corn, and soy. If not buying fresh food, it’s important to always read food labels to look for foods specifically labeled as gluten-free. For example, foods like cereal, bread, and lunch meat may or may not contain gluten, so the only way to know for sure is to check the packaging. The food industry can use gluten in many products that don't seem like they would contain gluten, so it's important to always read the label first.

Having a family history of food allergies could mean that your granddaughter may have a genetic predisposition to having food allergies as well. It may be beneficial for her to try an elimination diet to identify any food allergies, sensitivities, or intolerances that she may have. The basic premise of this eating plan is to initially restrict eating to very basic foods and then to gradually reincorporate more foods. The person doing this can then better discern which foods trigger a negative response when added back into their diet. Review this WebMD article for more information on elimination diets and also consult with a doctor or registered dietitian before implementing drastic dietary changes.

A.

well she has celiacs disease (non life threatning disease) but she can not have wheat    so feed her corn based products like ( some chex mix cerals, corn tortillas,some soups, any thing that says gluten free on the label