Q.

Can my partner and I have sex with HPV?

I am a 21 year old homosexual male.

My partner and I both have HPV however, recently I have had a breakout with anal warts. I am scheduled to have surgery over the next 6 months to have the warts removed but will my partner and I be unable to have safe sex during this time or is there a dangerous risk of me infecting him with the warts regardless if he already had the virus?

A.
HPV is transmitted via skin to skin contact, so you will transmit them. Also, there are a number of different strains of HPV. But a few very important points: if someone has been exposed to the virus, they will always be a carrier. Removing the warts does NOT remove the HPV. And most importantly, thought the cauliflower warts are unattractive and uncomfortable, HPV does not have any other effects on men that I know of. There are a few particular strains of HPV that make women more susceptible to cervical cancer, but as neither you nor your partner have a cervix the biggest danger of HPV is a nonissue. But do double check on this with your doctor! Good luck with your surgeries!