Health & Sex

Q.

Can my partner and I have sex with HPV?

I am a 21 year old homosexual male.

My partner and I both have HPV however, recently I have had a breakout with anal warts. I am scheduled to have surgery over the next 6 months to have the warts removed but will my partner and I be unable to have safe sex during this time or is there a dangerous risk of me infecting him with the warts regardless if he already had the virus?

A.
HPV is transmitted via skin to skin contact, so you will transmit them. Also, there are a number of different strains of HPV. But a few very important points: if someone has been exposed to the virus, they will always be a carrier. Removing the warts does NOT remove the HPV. And most importantly, thought the cauliflower warts are unattractive and uncomfortable, HPV does not have any other effects on men that I know of. There are a few particular strains of HPV that make women more susceptible to cervical cancer, but as neither you nor your partner have a cervix the biggest danger of HPV is a nonissue. But do double check on this with your doctor! Good luck with your surgeries! 

Post Your AnswerCancel

While writing your answer, you may find these tips helpful:

• Please try to keep your answer short and to the point. Be sure the answer is specific to the question asked.
  • To help protect your privacy, you should never submit any question or answer that includes personal information such as a name, phone number, email address, or mailing address.
  • Have a reference? Please include it to support your answer.

Today on WebMD

couple not communicating
How to tell when you're in one.
couple face to face
Get your love life back on track.

couple having an argument
Turn spats into solutions
couple in argument
When to call it quits.

Life Cycle of a Penis
Article
HIV Myth Facts
Slideshow

How Healthy is Your Sex Life
Quiz
Couple in bed
Video

6 Tips For Teens
Article
Close-up of young man
Article

screening tests for men
Slideshow
HPV Vaccine Future
Article

Important: The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, blogs, or WebMD Answers are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

URAC: Accredited Health Web Site TRUSTe online privacy certification HONcode Seal AdChoices