Q.

Large redish pimple like bump in pubic hair, painfull at first. could it be an std?

It started like a pimple and was painful, then grew a bit and got less painful. Now it's slightly larger than a pencil eraser, red, and doesn't hurt. The skin on the surface is peeling a little. It's in the pubic hair, not on the penis. What could it be?

A.

Sounds like an in grown hair. You are more likely to get ingrown hairs if you shave in this area.  If it doesnt go away on its on in a short time or if more appear I would get to you doctor just to be sure..