Q.

I am postmenopausal. Can I still get pregnant?

I am 53 years old and have not had a period since May 2011.

Related Topics: Period, Pregnancy, Post-Menopause

A.
You know, that's honestly a tricky question. At just over a year since your last period, I wouldn't bet the farm that you couldn't get pregnant.

Your best bet is to consult your gynecologist for an opinion. He or she can tell you if you still need to use birth control or if you're probably not ovulating anymore. I would say until you get that expert opinion, if you don't want to get pregnant you should use a condom or some other form of birth control.

Hope this helps!

A.
I had gone 16 months without a period & then 'surprise' I got it again.  
; )

12 months is not a 'magic' number by any means.
Best to be careful & realize everyone's body is different & each woman will have her own unique experience.
Best wishes.

A.
My GYN has indicated that it would be very unlikely; however, beyond the potential for pregnancy, if you are not long-term with the same man (who can be trusted), then condoms would still be recommended.  Menopause does nothing to protect you from an STD.

A.
Wow, I don't think so. I say that because you did not mention any symptoms at all. Why would you want to get pregnant at 53, by time the baby get 18 you be 71. What is your health like? Are you in good health? I mean if you want to have a baby this late in life ,its a good for you. If you could get pregnant, you out of date. You didn't have a period in May 2011 its 2013. Now what that tell you. You not pregnant yet.