Q.

numbness of the tongue causes

my husband has type 2 diabetes and has been expierencing numbness of the tongue.  He also has peripheral aertial disease.  Could either one of these cause the numbness of the tongue?

Related Topics: Type 2 Diabetes, Tongue, Numbness

Family Medicine
A.

There are many things that can cause numbness or tingling of the tongue. Some of these include:

• Problems within the brain—such as multiple sclerosis, stroke or brain tumor

• Problems with a nerve in the mouth or the face—most commonly the result of dental procedures such as tooth extractions.

• Vitamin or mineral deficiencies—such as low vitamin B 12, folate, iron

• Infections—such as yeast infections or the tingling that comes before a cold sore

• Burning mouth syndrome

• Certain medications

• Toxic exposures

Diabetes can cause nerve damage but that usually affects the feet and the hands. Peripheral artery disease also affects the arms and legs. 

Your husband should see his doctor to see what is causing his discomfort. He may be referred to an ear nose and throat specialist to help find the cause. I hope he gets some relief soon.