This morning I woe up with large floater i m left eye,Is there anything I can do to resolve this without going to MD?

Related Topics: Detached Retina, Eyes

Family Medicine

Floaters are usually small spots that move in your field of vision. They are caused by specks of protein floating in the vitreous humor—the jelly-like substance in the back of the eye.  Floaters become more common as we get older.

Though usually harmless, floaters can be a warning sign of vision-threatening conditions like retinal tears and detachments or bleeding inside the eye. 

Seek immediate medical help if any of these are associated with floaters:

• A sudden increase in number of floaters

• A change in your floaters

• Flashing lights

• Changes or decrease in your vision

• Any eye pain

• Trauma to your eye

• You have had eye surgery

If you have a large new floater, you should also call your eye doctor right away. 

If your eye doctor decides that the floaters are harmless, there is usually no treatment. Looking up and down can sometimes move the floaters out of your field of vision. If they become a problem for you, your eye doctor may discuss the possibility of surgery to remove them. 

Got Your WebMD Answer?

Next Steps: