Q.

Why would Keratin shampoo make my hair fall out? As soon as I quit using it, it stopped.

I would like to get a Keratin smoothing treatment but I've read similar stories where people lost their hair to the point of having bald spots.  Breakage I could understand, but my hair fell out at the root.  It doesn't make any sense.

Related Topics: Hair, Baldness

A.
It sounds like you may have had some kind of allergic reaction to an ingredient in the shampoo. Normally when someone uses a product and develops symptoms that go away when they stop using the product, it means an ingredient in the product was the cause of their symptoms.

It may not have been the keratin at all. Shampoos contain a wide variety of ingredients, from perfumes to dyes. It's possible your scalp really didn't like one of the components of that particular shampoo's formula.

All that said, I admit I don't know anything about keratin treatments, specifically. However, I certainly would be hesitant to undergo any treatment with a reputation for making people's hair fall out!

Take care!