Q.

why are sweets easier to digest?

I had a gastric bypass in November 2011.  Now I find that sweets (i.e. chocolate, cake, pie, etc.) are easier to digest than nutritious food.  The doctor says I should cut down on sweets so I don't put the weight back on.  How can I when they are easier to digest and I am hungry?

A.

In some people who have had gastric bypass surgery, sources of sugar tend to cause dumping syndrome, but that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

It's true that some foods are easier to eat than others after surgery, but the more often you eat wholesome foods such as vegetables, grains and lean meats, the easier they are to eat. This isn't just about weight but health. You have a small stomach now and not all of the nutrients you take in are absorbed. You need to choose food that is nutrient dense and make every bite count. That doesn't mean you can't eat any sweets, but eat them less often than other more nutritious foods. Take note of how you feel after eating? Which foods fuel you to be active and life a full life?

I think you will find that whole foods that are more nutritious, satisfying and nurturing. You just have to give your body time to adapt to them, instead of the easy foods that aren't doing you much good.

Good luck!