My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

How do you treat a chipped knee cap (patella) ? Do I need surgery? Xrays confirmed the chip (s).

I am not in pain when I walk, but can't kneel.  I can't stand anything to touch my knee.  It is slightly swollen but not bruised much.

Related Topics: Bruise, Knee, X-ray, Surgery, Walking

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

General Medicine
1,458 Answers
65,252 Helpful Votes
Well, this is an excellent question for the medical provider who ordered the X-ray. If the X-ray confirmed a fracture of the patella (kneecap), then your health care provider should have given you care and/or treatment instructions.

Unfortunately, this isn't a question we can answer in a forum like this. Your health care provider will outline all of your treatment options (perhaps including surgery) and you, as an informed patient, will ask about the risks and benefits of each option in order to make a decision that works for you.

Wishing you all the best!

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

5 of 36 found this helpful