Q.

Why are both of my nipples painful and hot to the touch?

I am 25 years old, I am not, nor have I ever been pregnant. I have never experienced this before, what could this mean?

Related Topics: Nipple

A.
Sorry to hear you're going through this. Nipple tenderness can be very painful and annoying!

The good news is if this is affecting both your nipples, it's probably not something scary like cancer. It would be unusual for cancer to arise in both breasts at once. Not to mention you're awfully young for that.

Your sore nipples could be caused by simple dryness. It's not uncommon at this time of year, when furnaces get cranked up and dry out the air, for the nipples to require moisturizing, just like any other skin. You might try applying hand lotion to the nipples to see if it solves the problem.

If you go braless and your nipples frequently rub against clothing, that could also cause them to feel sore. Wearing a soft, supportive bra might help, along with moisturizing.

If you take hormonal birth control (for example, birth control pills), it's possible your tender nipples relate to hormone issues. If applying moisturizer doesn't help the problem, I suggest you see your primary health care provider for an exam and evaluation of your birth control method to see if this is the culprit and to make sure there's nothing sinister going on.

Hope this helps!