Health & Sex

Q.

I am having trouble keeping my penis hard during vaginal sex. The feeling/sensation in my penis seems to disappear.

I am having trouble keeping my penis hard during vaginal sex. Often times, the feeling/sensation in my penis seems to disappear, and my "hard-on" quickly disappears. This is never an issue with oral sex or from handjobs, and alcohol is not a factor either. This is the first steady girlfriend I have ever had, and find her beyond attractive, more so than anyone other sexual partner in my past. I have never had a steady sexual partner in my past, so the problem never had a chance to come to light.

Related Topics: Sexual Intercourse, Penis, Vagina

A.
Your problem could be psychological or physical, or perhaps, even a bit of both. Either way, the erectile dysfunction can be easily rectified with several different medicines designed to increase (and maintain) blood flow engorgement to the penis. If you maintain your erection longer, you will not likely have any related performance anxiety, so the problem could fix itself with a little blue pill. You may not always need it, but you may find this to be a temporary solution. These require a prescription, so you will need to ask your medical provider.

Just one "failure to perform" could create a feeling that it will happen again, so this is where the psychological component plays a role. Assuming you do not have any underlying medical issues or psychological stresses affecting your life at the moment, this should get you back in the saddle again.

Post Your AnswerCancel

While writing your answer, you may find these tips helpful:

• Please try to keep your answer short and to the point. Be sure the answer is specific to the question asked.
  • To help protect your privacy, you should never submit any question or answer that includes personal information such as a name, phone number, email address, or mailing address.
  • Have a reference? Please include it to support your answer.

Today on WebMD

couple not communicating
How to tell when you're in one.
couple face to face
Get your love life back on track.

couple having an argument
Turn spats into solutions
couple in argument
When to call it quits.

Life Cycle of a Penis
Article
HIV Myth Facts
Slideshow

How Healthy is Your Sex Life
Quiz
Couple in bed
Video

6 Tips For Teens
Article
Close-up of young man
Article

screening tests for men
Slideshow
HPV Vaccine Future
Article

Important: The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, blogs, or WebMD Answers are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

URAC: Accredited Health Web Site TRUSTe online privacy certification HONcode Seal AdChoices