Q.

Took 5 days Tamiflu but still feel sick, have swollen glands & exhaustion . do i still have the flu? contagious?

i had food poisoning on Nov 28 then got this stomach flu on Dec 12th. I took the 5 days of Tamiflu plus metoclopramide & bella-phenobarb but I still feel achy, tired. The day after my last dose of Tamiflu I woke up with sore swollen glands. Still taking the bella-phenobarb for abdominal discomfort. I'm supposed to return to NYC (where I got the flu) to work with the public in Grand Central Station. I'm concerned about exposing myself to such a large amount of public while I still feel sick. 

A.
I have to tell you that the "stomach flu" is not influenza. Influenza is a respiratory disease, not a gastrointestinal disease, so Tamiflu will NOT help, as you have experienced. Tamiflu ONLY works for influenza, not other viral infections. What you most likely had was viral gastroenteritis - a viral infection that is unrelated to true influenza. Viral gastroenteritis is a self-limiting disease, lasting about a week. I am assuming that you did not have a nasal swab (Rapid Flu Test) to diagnose your illness.

Unless you actually had a flu vaccine to PREVENT influenza, you would still be considered "at-risk" for getting the true influenza. It is not too late to get a vaccine, but it will not help you for about two weeks. Keep that in mind when you are exposed to large groups of people.