Q.

How long after receiving the shingles vaccine should I wait to be around a newborn baby?

Related Topics: Shingles, Newborn, Baby

A.
This is an excellent question, and I'm glad you asked.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) shingles vaccine fact sheet, you do not need to avoid contact with infants after receiving the shingles vaccine.

The CDC website states:

"It is safe to be around infants and young children, pregnant women, or people with weakened immune systems after you get the shingles vaccine. There is no documentation of a person getting chickenpox from someone who has received the shingles vaccine..."

However, if you develop a rash around the injection site, you should cover it until it disappears.

Hope this helps!