Q.

Is Uterine Cancer hereditary?

My mother was diagnosed 3 years ago, and I remember her saying that she was constantly bleeding so that was a sign. And lately my periods have been lasting 3+ weeks, and it feels like when I finally think it is over with I get it again. Also sometimes I will miss my period for like 2 months. Could I possibly have symptoms or could it be something else?

Related Topics: Uterine Cancer

Family Medicine
A.

Uterine or endometrial cancer can have a tendency to run in families. But that does not mean that you will definitely get it just because your Mother had it.

Changes in your menstrual cycle including heavy bleeding or spotting between periods can be a sign of uterine cancer. But it can also be caused by some other conditions as well. Other possible symptoms of uterine cancer include non-bloody vaginal discharge, pelvic pain, unintentional weight loss, and feeling of a mass in the pelvis.

You need to make an appointment with your gynecologist as soon as possible. The earlier uterine cancer is found, the greater the chances that it can be successfully treated.

Talk to your gynecologist about your family history and changes in your periods. She will likely want to take a tissue sample with either an endometrial biopsy or a D&C. She might also suggest a transvaginal ultrasound  to look at the uterus.  Then you can find out what is causing your symptoms and get the right treatment. 

You can read more about endometrial cancer on WebMD.