Q.

I am having chest pains, shortness of breath, hypertension, fatigue, and nose bleeds. What should I do?

Internal Medicine and Endocrinology
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, American Diabetes Association,
A.

High blood pressure (hypertension) causes heart disease, which might explain your chest pains, shortness of breath, and fatigue. When the heart is unable to pump blood efficiently, shortness of breath occurs as does fatigue. Fatigue is also a very common side effect of many medications used to treat high blood pressure. Nosebleeds can also be caused by hypertension. High blood pressure causes blood to leak out of the tiny blood vessels in the nose.

Unfortunately, most people who have hypertension do not have symptoms. That is why hypertension is called the “silent killer” because the seriousness of this disease is not appreciated until hypertension has done damage to organs.

Your symptoms warrant immediate attention from a doctor. It is very important that your blood pressure be adequately controlled and that tests be done to evaluate your heart.