Q.

already had shingles can I get them again?

I was 19 yrs old when i first got shingles and became very sick from the antibiotics I was given for them. I am 37 now and because I was so young when I first got them I now wonder if I will get them again or is it like the chicken pox where once you get them you dont have to worry?

Related Topics: Shingles

A.

Two things....

Once you have Shingles (herpes zoster), you will always have it. The body's immune system will usually suppress it and keep in from breaking out, but it will still be there. You will always have the potential for a recurrent outbreak, but about half of the people will never see it again.

Shingles in not treated with antibiotics. It is a virus and viruses are immune to all antibiotics.