Q.

My doctor asks me to get a tetanus vaccine upon an injury when I am doubtful of acquiring tetanus.

Is this anti-tetanus vaccine? If so, for how long do these vaccines are effective? Some say it for three months or for six months. Is it okay if one gets this vaccine before twenty-four hours of injury?

Related Topics: Tetanus, Injury, Vaccines

A.

The tetanus vaccine is good for TEN YEARS, but some medical providers will recommend a booster vaccine sooner than that if there is some doubt as to the previous date, or if the wound is particularly prone.  The disease, tetanus, is very rare in the United States (not so rare in other countries), but if you should get it, it has an extremely high fatality rate. Getting a vaccine every ten years for 100% protection is really the best deal out there in the vaccine world.

Getting the vaccine 24 hours before a planned injury (?) is unlikely to be very effective, unless of course, you have prior immunity from a previous tetanus still on board.