Q.

My stomach always growls, turns, and feels bloated after I eat. I also have a lot of flatulence. What could be wrong?

I am not sure what is wrong with me. My stomach growls loudly and obnoxiously after I eat and it is very embarrassing, not to mention the fact its very uncomfortable, almost painful.  i also have excessive flatulence in addition to this. I want to know what is wrong and I am tired of sitting in class with this issue it has been going on for at least 6 months now. I don't eat fast and I am definently not hungry and I have tried eating more frequent it doesn't help. 

A.

There are a number of things that could be contributing to your gas symptoms.  The growling stomach you mention is actually your intestines contracting from the movement of air through the intestines.  

Here are some potential causes of your gas:

• Taking in air through drinking with straws, carbonated beverages, chewing gum, smoking and eating hard candies.
  • Eating too many gas-producing vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, onions, artichokes, beans and asparagus.
  • Certain fruits like apples, pears and peaches may cause problems.
  • The inability to digest certain foods, like lactose in milk.
  • Not enough beneficial bacteria in your gastro-intestinal system.

This WebMD article provides more details on potential causes of gas.  You may want to see a registered dietitian and/or write down what you eat to spot problem foods.  And if you continue to have pain or discomfort, a doctor visit makes sense.

A.
I agree with all the information provided by Maryann. Other than that, eating spicy and dry foods may cause bloating and flatulence.

Sip some hot water after your eating is over. Add some curds/yogurt with sugar to your diet. This will help you a lot.

A.

I have a similar issue and it has lasted about two months.  I feel full/bloated and really have not been eating much.  I have been burping a ton.  I thought I might be pregnant becuase I am a little nauseous too.  My sister thought my burping was funny until it happened to her.  She has been reading about hormone levels and found that Melatonin is a hormone in your body and changes all the time like insulin levels.  In the winter, with lack of sunlight melatonin levels can be high and stay in the gut.  Her book said this creates high acid levels in the stomach and thus you will have more gas.  We are trying full spectrum light therpy to get our circdian rhythm back to normal and maybe surpress day time melatonin from producing.  Do you still have symptoms?