Q.

what is R/O encephalopathy

I know that encephalopathy is a brain disease, but I need more information please.

Related Topics: Encephalopathy, Brain

A.
I'm thinking you saw this on an order for a test.

R/O is medical shorthand for "rule out." It's a commonly used abbreviation to state why the health care provider is ordering the test. In this case, the test was done to rule out encephalopathy.

For those who may be reading this and don't know what encephalopathy is, it's a condition in which the brain suffers damage or problems from poisons that haven't been adequately filtered from the bloodstream by the liver. Encephalopathy is one possible complication of cirrhosis of the liver.

I wish you all the best.