Q.

Why would my butthole hurt?

Sometimes after having a bowel movement my butthole hurts to the point where it is very painful to sit down.  It is a sharp pain.  It will go away after awhile but it usually takes some time.  Could this be a serious problem.

Related Topics: Bowel Movement, Pain

A.
It could be a serious problem if you ignore the symptoms, so it would be wise to see a medical provider and have a proper examination.

A common cause would be an anal fissure - a tiny tear in the ring of the anus. This is common in people who strain for bowel movements, or who are prone to constipation. Hemorrhoids are another possibility. Less-common, but possible, would simply be peri-anal irritation caused by a bacterial or yeast infection.

Rather than worry about the cause or wonder if you have something serious, take the very next important step: See a medical provider and know for sure.