Q.

My mother has Alzheimers disease. She has slept well at night, but now she is sleeping during the day. Why?

Today, December 11, 2012 my 93 y/o mother (w/ Alzheimer's disease)refused to get out of bed (08:00 a.m.).  She told me she wanted to sleep a bit more.  This was three hours ago.  She is still in bed asleep. I am checking to make sure she is breathing every 10 minutes.  Shall I let her sleep? Wake her up? Thanks for your help!

Related Topics: Alzheimer's Disease

Family Medicine
A.

It is always a concern when a person has a sudden change in wakefulness. This is especially true when a person has Alzheimer’s disease and may have trouble communicating her needs.  

You should call your mother’s doctor right away. Knowing your mother’s history, they will be able to advise you on the next step.