Q.

help!

I am having difficulty locating recipes and ideas for my type of diet; I need a gluten free, low cholesterol, vegetarian diet. I love to cook and experiement so fear of trying new things is not an issue.

Related Topics: Cholesterol, Fear, Diet, Cooking, Recipe

Family Medicine
A.

It sounds like you have your work cut out for you! But the good news is that there are many good-tasting healthy foods that will fit the bill.  You should start with some good basic gluten free recipes-like the ones found in our Gluten-Free Recipes Directory. Look them over and pick the ones that do not contain meat. And start cooking! 

There are many types of vegetarian diets—ones that include eggs and dairy –or vegan options that do not include any animal products at all. If you choose ovo-lacto (eggs and dairy) vegetarianism, just be sure to use only low-fat dairy in your cooking.  Eggs can be part of a healthy low fat diet—just don’t go overboard. It is the yolk that has the cholesterol. So switch to the egg whites whenever you can.  And you can use olive oil as a healthier alternative to the animal fats. 

If you are changing your diet because of health issues, such as heart disease, diabetes, celiac disease or high cholesterol, talk to a dietitian. They are a wealth of information. Many insurance companies will even help cover the visit.  Detailed information about a gluten-free diet is also available at the Celiac Disease Foundation website http://www.celiac.org/.  Also, make sure you talk to your doctor before starting any new diet.  

Health Coach, WebMD
A.
There are several recipes that can be found on the WebMD website.  I have included links to gluten free recipes and vegetarian recipes.  When looking at the ingredients of a recipe, feel free to alter to fit within your diet regimen.  I have also included a link about the TLC Diet (Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes) to help you choose foods that are lower in cholesterol.

Next Question: