Q.

Could smokeless tobacco be the cause of stomach upset and runny diahrrea?

My husband is a smokeless tobacco user. He has had some stomach issues along with diahrrea for which there is no medical answer.

Related Topics: Stomach, Diarrhea

A.
Let me start by saying that smokeless tobacco is no less dangerous, in terms of causing cancer, than cigarettes. I hope your husband realizes this.

Even if the stomach problems and diarrhea are new symptoms, they could indeed be caused by smokeless tobacco usage. People who use smokeless tobacco and spit still swallow some of the saliva that contains harmful substances. That's why some of the cancers that arise from smokeless tobacco use can include cancers of the stomach, pancreas, and colon. Of course, smokeless tobacco use also can cause many types of oral cancers.

If your husband's symptoms don't clear up on their own, or if they're accompanied by fever, pain, or shortness of breath, then he definitely should have them checked out by a medical professional. You can start with your primary health care provider.

Best wishes to you and your husband!